Important Messages -
School/Parent/ Student Compact
The admiistrative team of Thorne Middle School agrees to monitor the staff implementation of t he Board approved job description for teacher/staff with special emphasis on the components of the above form. Please sign and return to your child's homeroom teacher.
Google Doodles Created By Thorne Students
Honoring Those Who Serve
VHI Early Release Schedule
End of the Year Info
Hello Thorne Community,
I appreciate your patience in this unprecedented time and we know there are lots of questions about the end of the year.
Here are some answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.
This has been updated as of June 1st
Hello Thorne Community, Please understand that we are following strict guidelines as set forth by the district, county and state. These guidelines are changing at a rapid pace and we continue to meet as an Administrative team on the district level in reaction to those changes. The document below has been updated as of June 1. Included (Highlighted) are the guidelines as set forth by Governor Murphy regarding end of the year ceremonies. Thank you for your patience.
- Prior to July 6, 2020, only ceremonies that take place virtually are permitted.
- Beginning July 6, 2020, drive-through/drive-in and modified in-person, outdoor ceremonies are permitted.
- Indoor ceremonies should not be considered.
- Modified in-person commencement ceremonies must: Take place outdoors (i.e., no indoor ceremonies allowed); and meet the relevant capacity limitation on in-person gatherings in place at the time of the ceremony.
- Governor Murphy indicated that districts and institutions must determine the minimum number of staff and faculty necessary to facilitate commencement ceremonies and adjust attendance requirements accordingly.
- The County Executive Superintendent, Dr. Richens, clarified that all persons present at the ceremony, including students, families members, administration, and other individuals including security must be counted in meeting the capacity limitations for social gatherings. On May 22, the number of persons permitted to gather outdoors was increased to 25 individuals.
8th grade Promotion Ceremony:
- We are continuing the development of a virtual graduation that will follow as best we can the format that we have done live in the past, including student speeches and awards.
- The video will be available the day graduation was to occur, June 17, at 12:30. The video can be viewed at any time after that.
- We will be giving out all awards that we have in the past. High honor roll plaques will be awarded based on 10 marking periods, excluding these final two.
Thorne Honor Society: We will hold a virtual induction recognition for 8th grade students only. Students will be recognized for their induction into the Thorne Honor Society through a presentation, which will present and read their name. A Thorne Honor Society certificate will be mailed home. Thorne Honor Society will be inducting all eligible 7th grade students during the 2020-2021 school year (date TBD) in a ceremony held at Thorne. Any current 8th grade student wishes to return and partake in the ceremony will be welcome to do so. Item Retrieval/Distribution (yearbooks, awards, promotion certificates, valuables from lockers, etc.)
- We will be conducting 8th grade locker cleanouts and bagging items for retrieval beginning June 2. The process will require pick up outside of the building in bags. Our plan is to conduct these pickups on the two days prior to the Promotion Ceremony – June 15th and 16th. We are hoping at that point to include yearbooks (if they have arrived) and Promotion Certificates. We would like the awards that will be given out for the Promotion Ceremony to remain a surprise – we will be having a second pick up for those students receiving awards shortly after June 17th.
- We will not be cleaning out 6th and 7th grade lockers. Once we have completed 8th grade locker cleanouts, we will retrieve 6th and 7th grade valuable items only by special request. Students and parents will not be allowed in the building. Hopefully, when we arrive in September, we will immediately conduct 6th and 7th grade locker cleanouts and change lockers.
- Health Office - If your child has medication with the school nurse – if you would like to pick it up, please e-mail her – email@example.com
- 8th Grade Drama Trip – Mrs. Mess was able to get a full refund from the theater company. Money will be refunded to those who signed up ASAP.
4th Marking Period Grading Policy
Thorne Guidance Counselors, Case Managers, SAC & Nurse are here to support you during Virtual Home Instruction. We are available during normal school hours (7:50AM-2:45PM). Please reach out via email with any questions or concerns that you may have.
Guidance Counselors can be reached via e-mail or at the following extensionsChild Study Team can be reached via e-mail or at the following extensionsDr. Young - firstname.lastname@example.orgExt. 7779Mrs. Wagner - email@example.comExt. 7718Ms. Frees - firstname.lastname@example.orgExt. 7717
District Mission Statement and Beliefs
The Middletown Township Public School District, in partnership with our resourceful and
historically rich community, provides students with a rigorous and relevant education,
rooted in the New Jersey Student Learning Standards, motivating them to recognize
and develop their full potential as responsible citizens, contributing to an ever-evolving
We believe we must function as a united community to...
1. Meet every student’s unique and individual needs, in a safe and nurturing
2. Prepare students for innovative opportunities in a rapidly evolving global society,
in which technology is integral.
3. Inspire, engage, and challenge students and staff to make the commitment to
become lifelong learners, both within and beyond the classroom walls.
4. Provide all students equitable opportunities for personal development by
maintaining progressive resources.
5. Support the success of our children, who are our future.
Harassment, Intimidation & Bullying
District Anti-Bullying Coordinator
732-671-3850 Ext. 1021
THORNE'S ANTI-BULLYING SPECIALIST
Thorne's 2017 - 2018 ABBR Score: 74/78
Click here for our HIB Grades for the School Self-Assessment for Determining Grades
under the Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights
2019-2020 Teacher Of The Year
Lions L.E.A.D. is a new program that will increase opportunities for students to connect to various staff members, peers, and the building culture through activities designed to enhance engagement and social-emotional development.
Staff will facillitate before /or after school "master classes.
Open the flyer and read more about the classes being offered. To sign up you must sign the consent form and submit the form to the office.
Lions LEAD flyer and form
sign and submit